With the massive proliferation of smart phones in recent months, and their adoption en masse by contractors and field personnel, we're getting a lot of enquiries about whether BuildIT has "an app" available.
It's not a question of whether we will build one, it's when.
An "app" is specifically designed for a small screen device and is fairly "light weight" in terms of feature set. And they're all the rage now. There are goofy ones (like the Orc detector... you can tell if one of your friends is an Orc from Lord of the Rings, then of course, you'd have to kill him)... then there are those designed for productivity.
But what we've found is most customers are having success using iPhones, Android smart phones, iPads etc. with BuildIT as is. All you need is a web browser, and you can access your BuildIT account.
I've been using a Samsung Galaxy smart phone for a few months now, and can easily access most of the functions and controls in BuildIT. And while there are some current limitations (that will likely be solved as 1000's of smart phone customers clog up tech support lines and online technical forums), we see most BuildIT customers benefiting from wireless access to the system with these devices.
Case in point - prior to writing this, I just spent 18 minutes on my smart phone, logged into my BuildIT account.
Here's what I did:
1. Created a new job (Martin Residence)
2. Entered a schedule template of 28 tasks related to a kitchen renovation.
3. Modifed durations of 2 tasks using the Gantt popup power bar... watch the schedule adjust in real time.
4. Set 1 task to 100% completed - keeps the schedule up to date.
5. Entered specific details in one of the tasks... while it was on my mind.
6. Entered a note tied to the Martin Residence... for others on my team to reference
7. Assigned a task to a sub contractor... so he would know where he's supposed to be, and when.
8. Created a standard "invitation to tender" from the myriad of construction document templates available to all BuildIT users.
9. Faxed that invitation to tender to a contact on my team (and was messaged minutes later from him about that fax he received!!).
10. Created a calendar appointment tied to the project... where other BuildIT users can see so they know when my time is booked.
11. Sent a text message to a contact (the contents of which get stored in BuildIT in the "sent email" folder, and tied to the Martin Residence).
12. Then logged out and got on with my day.
You don't have to be a 13 year old with lightning fast thumbs to make BuildIT work on a smart phone. Just an interest in becoming more productive and taking advantage of the technology to allow you to manage your business and make decisions wherever you happen to be.
Imangine: you and/or your employees accomplishing this much in 18 minutes for your business... from the truck !
Personally, I find it easier to be in front of a computer typing on a regular keyboard, and viewing a large monitor, but I don't always have that luxury, and neither will you or your employees.
Make the jump soon to becoming "untethered, and get more out of BuildIT.
1 866 585 5050 ext 1